The first trams to be seen in the area arrived in June 1883 with services provided
by horse drawn vehicles between the centre of Gravesend and the Olde Leather Bottel
Northfleet. Electric traction arrived with an experimental electric system in 1889,
including an extension to Northfleet High Street This system, utilising an underside
Next on the scene in 1901 was the British Electric Traction Company who converted the system to standard gauge using overhead supply electric trams.
By 1903 they had extended the system to incorporate routes to Denton, The Old Prince of Orange, Swanscombe and Pelham Road, with a route provided along Dover Road. Double deck trams with both driver and conductor were provided, services being managed by Gravesend and Northfleet Electric Tramways Ltd from a new tram depot constructed off Dover Road.
Horse tram King Street 1900
There were plans to extend the system to Rochester, but gauging issues at Strood,
where the 3’-
However, the system was not the financial success hoped for, and by 1906 the larger double decked vehicles had been sold off. In an effort to make economies, single deck one man operated cars were introduced on the loss making Pelham Road and Windmill Street routes. By 1915 however, the life expired single decked cars were once again replaced by double deck trams.
Pelham Road early 20th century
By the late 1920’s, the system could no longer compete with the then new motor buses, and despite attempts to improve passenger comfort by fitting top deck roofs and a new brighter livery of cherry red and ivory, the system finally closed on 28th February 1929 when the tram routes were taken over by the motor buses of The Maidstone and District Motor Services.
Denton Terminus circa 1910
Derelict tram bodies were sold off at the depot for £5 for a single deck and £10 for double deck cars.