The Gravesend Railway Enthusiasts Society
Coal and Wine Tax Posts
Levies on items entering London have been used to raise taxation since the Middle Ages.
The great fire of London devastated much of 17th Century London and funds were urgently
needed for re-
The responsibility for payment rested with the coal merchants receiving the coal. Up until the 19th century all of London’s coal entered by sea, but with the advent of more efficient land transportation with the coming of the railways, a new method for collecting dues from these sources was required. A series of posts and stones marking London's 1861 jurisdiction limits were set up, approximately 15 miles from central London. These marked the boundaries on the canal, road and railway systems. 250 posts were erected, and over 200 still survive.
This revenue was used in the 19th century to fund works such as the Thames Embankment and improving Cannon Street. The levy continued to be collected up until 1889, when ownership of the posts passed to local authorities.
The markers all originally had cast iron identifying plates fitted, but many are now missing.
Post 206 adjacent to Swanley Station
Post 206 just outside Swanley station still marks the boundary between London and Kent. This is one of the taller posts that were erected by the side of railways where a larger marker than the standard small white iron variety was thought more appropriate.
Unlike other carriers, the railway companies were responsible for collection of coal tax where this means of transport was used. Inspectors were appointed to check carriers financial returns to ensure that all coal entering was recorded and taxes paid.
The closest posts to Gravesend are probably Swanley post 206 and Crayford post 209 situated in Crayford at the location where Old Bexley Lane Dartford becomes Dartford Road.
Post 209 @ Crayford